|Left: hickory smoked turkey; right: corned beef.|
Some other variations I made to his recipe:
- Cut the amount of soy sauce in half.
- Used pureed white beans instead of firm tofu (I can't handle too much soy at one sitting, alas and alack).
- Cut the amount of salt in the corned beef by half (would do it down to a quarter next time - it came out just a hair too briny).
- Replaced the liquid smoke with a pinch of smoked salt.
- Accidentally over-baked both the loaves by about ten or fifteen minutes. This resulted in an outer crust which is darned tasty, but which makes cutting it into gossamer-thin slices almost impossible.
Good thing for me that ragged hunks of seitan are still tasty.
Sorry, Gretchen the dog. I'm keeping this one for me. Me and my sandwich, that is.