Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Easy Cheesy Vegan Sausage Balls (With No Bisquick) - Trial One

Snacks and sweets week begins with a twist on a classic breakfast treat/party staple.  By no means do I have a masterpiece here, but I think I do have the beginnings of a great idea.  I mean, who doesn't love sausage?

Well, besides people who hate sausage, of course.

Such people do not exist in my house.  Even I, who have foresworn meat, have a lingering fondness for charcuterie flavors.  On holidays, my family has for years indulged in sausage pinwheels for breakfast.  Though I have a perfectly good veg*n recipe for them, this year I needed a low glycemic index version to please the diabetic demons.  I thought about the humble sausage ball, that old standby made of pork, cheese, and Bisquick.  Maybe I could find some way to replace the Bisquick with some nice whole grain flour, I thought.

It turns out that I could do such a thing, but that it would take more time and effort than I was willing to devote to a snack.  So instead I decided to try breadcrumbs.  I took a quarter cup of Daiya cheddar, half a tube of Gimme Lean sausage-style, and three slices of pumpernickel bread ground into soft crumbs.  I seasoned the works with an Italian herb blend, some crushed fennel seeds, and of course salt and pepper.  When it was dry I splashed in some soy milk.  Then I chilled the works, rolled it into balls the next morning, and sprayed them with a little canola oil.  They were baked at 400F until they were nice and crispy on the outside.  Then came the feasting.


The verdict.  Good!  But a little too spicy.  And really, REALLY heavy.  They weighed in nutritionally at five carbs each, but a portion of three was enough to make your stomach feel like you were carting around a cannon ball.  I need to tweak the seasonings, and either make smaller balls or cut the recipe with something lighter.  Maybe some steamed veggies?  Onions, peppers, or broccoli might be nice.  Any suggestions will be gratefully received :)

Whatever the solution turns out to be, I think it will be worth the cheeze and Gimme Lean I must sacrifice in the pursuit. I think I'm onto something, folks.  And I'll share it as soon as I figure out what the heck I'm doing wrong.

Tomorrow - dessert! (I hope)

0 comments: